The Mental Health Project of the Urban Justice Center (MHP) seeks a full-time Paralegal to assist clients with mental health needs in their claims for Social Security disability benefits. MHP is a team of attorneys, social workers, and advocates dedicated to enforcing the rights of low-income New Yorkers with mental health concerns. Our mission is to end cycles of homelessness, hospitalization and incarceration experienced by low-income New Yorkers with mental health concerns.
- Scheduling and conducting new client intake, including at off-site clinics and community partners;
- Interviewing clients to collect contact information and case details to open files in case management system;
- Organizing and maintaining case notes and other client information in our case management system;
- Preparing and sending documents to initiate attorney-client relationship;
- Assisting with all aspects of case development and case preparation, including requests for medical evidence, correspondence with the Social Security Administration and other agencies, and case closings;
- Serving as a point of contact for clients until case assigned to attorney;
- Providing legal information, advice, and referrals as needed;
- Scanning legal correspondence and mail;
- Additional tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, including the ability to track information about a high volume of cases;
- Efficient and meticulous attention to detail, with strong sense of initiative and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse client population in a sensitive and professional manner and to work as a member of a team;
- Demonstrated commitment to working in public interest or advocating for persons with mental health concerns;
- Experience applying an anti-oppressive, anti-racist, and social justice lens to your work; and
- Strong advocacy skills and the ability to navigate bureaucratic systems.
Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred, and knowledge of the Social Security benefits system is a plus.
Salary scale ranges from $50,750 to $71,600, according to years of work experience, and includes excellent benefits. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com.
Please write “Paralegal” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to high volume, we are unable to respond to all inquiries and will contact only those candidates selected for further consideration.
This is a bargaining unit position represented for collective bargaining purposes by the National Organization of Legal Services Workers, UAW, Local 2320. The Urban Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.